Tuesday, December 4, 2012

4 December 2012 ~ A Month of Reflection

When were you most scared? Why? How did you respond? How do you wish  you would have responded (Author: Mary Churchill) 
 I heard this quote from Audre Lorde early in 2012:
When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.
Having really marinated in this, I'm BEcoming both wiser about and more comfortable with my FEAR.

FEAR is such a disabling and suffocating thing. And often [most often] it is merely a story in my brain fanning its flames like the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz...

FEAR sometimes wins. Usually when I have the crazy idea that everything is about me. I'm learning to notice this when it occurs. To look it boldly in the eye.

Sometimes I don't see it. Sometimes I run full-out into the jaws of it. 

I think that FEAR is mostly a part of me who needs attention, kindness, and care. A part that I learned to ignore BEcause others ignored it [her].

Lately I am sitting down and having tea with FEAR. Or going for a walk with it [her]. 

It's good for me to consider FEAR more deeply, yet I don't feel it is much of a factor day-to-day. Like the Wizard, I am just a person living Life, wanting to DO good, and mayBE Make a Difference.

If I am good with that, I'm good... Really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Having lived in fear my whole life...much of it just a matter of perception...it was quite a breakthrough when at age 50 I decided I didn't want to live like that anymore and sought out some very intensive therapy. I'm quite a bit more adventurous these days but still hold back more than I am happy with.... I read a great book based on the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt about doing one thing you feared every day...it was titled "My Year With Eleanor" it was very funny but also very inspiring for me. Thanks for the lovely post...I enjoyed it and it hit a chord with me.

Rita said...

I have always tried to face my fears--because I can't stand the lack of control that it causes. When I automatically react negatively--it is usually a fear based reaction. Varieties of fears can lie buried and nearly dormant, but if I recognize them when they surface they have less control. The more I examine, understand, and own those fears--the less power they have over me. This is a wonderful post!! A wonderful post. :)